Sunday, January 1, 2012

Adjusting

Going from 1 to 2 is tough! I have no idea how my mother did it with 3, two of which were only 8 months apart. Krew came at the beginning of our summer break when Kade and I are normally on the go. This was a huge adjustment for Kade. We always get our passes to Hawaiian Falls and we did, we just couldn't go right away. I decided to sign him up for vacation bible school and a few camps over the summer with his friend Reid so that he wasn't stuck at home in front of the television and blatantly aware that the baby was consuming all of my time. I think the adjustment would have been much easier had he been in school all day and only seen me with the baby for a few hours a day. But, things happen when they are supposed to and this is just one of the trials we will go through. It was hard. There is no way to sugar coat it. Kade was frustrated and angry with us. Again, he loves his brother, but was very angry about all of the time that the baby needed. I tried so hard to make sure that I spent time with him and focused solely on him. I never want Kade to feel neglected or pushed to the side.

Vacation bible school was great! He attended last year, but this was his first year without me as a leader. He was grouped with two of his good friends, Gavin and Jack. I offered to have them over one afternoon and we made biscuit pizzas! The kids loved making them, baking them, and eating them!

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I decided to do this, especially with a 2 week old baby. BUT, Kade had a great time with his friends. After pizza, they played with the legos and then headed upstairs to play games, transformers, and nerf guns in the playroom.


He went to art camp for 3 hours a day for one week. He created 3 magnificent Texas themed pieces. He drew a Texas self portrait, a bluebonnet pastel, and a longhorn sculpture.



His art school also offered a 1 day camp on a Saturday morning. The theme for this camp was Italy. I thought it was fitting to send him to a Texas camp, since he is a Texas boy, and an Italy camp because of his daddy's heritage. During the Italy camp, they studied clay sun art and made a replica with paint.


I also signed him up for a camp at The Arboretum. They studied the sun, the moon, and all of the planets. He came home each day with something they had created. I will send him to this camp every year! He and Reid really enjoyed hanging out together this summer. Since Reid's mom works during the summer, he would come home with us and the boys would play in the backyard, despite the heat.

a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgf5hRUFGS6fP8k0r-M7sF2qaF_3Qkhqw230XV0FuwFG2nt4_GXotMVSwQylHMC2j5ZoV_0HJRGqmnPWnXsNpBG1xpuFeTZf9vDQBWtaA_GVPZWev53Muo09Jgo3Sk_Uw4LL9xf66TTn94o/s1600/282332_2064443764523_1047625732_32103994_2754543_n.jpg">

We finally got to go to Hawaiian Falls about 5 weeks into the summer. Mimi came over to keep Krew so that Kade and I could have our much needed alone time. We went and ended up running into several friends of ours. It was a perfect day for my Kade man. That evening after Mike got home, I took Kade on a date to Cold Stone and we sat and talked for about an hour. I have realized just how important those small moments really are not only to me, but to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment