Sunday, January 1, 2012

The End of Kindergarten

Kindergarten ended. What? Already? NO WAY? How did this happen so fast? What an educational year for all of us. We learned that Kade was further ahead than most of his classmates. We learned how quickly he became bored. We learned how to handle a signed folder on a regular basis. We learned that our little boy was becoming a little too independent for our liking. My Kade learned how to read, and read well. By the end of the year he was reading Dr. Suess books to me! This is the most precious time I get to spend with Kade.

As the year was coming to a close, I was getting ready to deliver a baby. Unfortunately I had to miss Field Day ( I WILL BE THERE FOR 1st Grade), but Mike was off and he spent the day with Kade. They played all kinds of games and boy did I get an ear full when he came to visit me at the hospital.



A week later it was time for Kindergarten graduation. It's amazing to me how he changed over the coarse of 9 months.


That morning we woke up and daddy treated us to donuts! Mimi and Bop-O came over. Mimi stayed with baby Krew and Bop-O joined us for the awards ceremony. Camera-CHECK Kleenex- FORGOT (and I needed plenty of it!)

He was sooooo excited about the ceremony and told us that each kid gets a special award that the teacher picks just for them. He wondered for days which award he would get. When they called his name for the "Thinker" award, he was so proud as were we! Mrs. Rowe said that he always has his thinking cap on!

After the ceremony we were invited back to the classroom for a video full of memories from the past school year. The kids signed yearbooks and stuffed animals and Mrs. Hartmeier, Kade's teacher, gave each of the students a bucket with a calendar and supplies. The calendar had an assignment for each day of the summer so they would not lose the skills they had worked so hard to learn throughout the year. I LOVED THIS and appreciated it! One day she asked the students to write her a letter about their summer vacation thus far. Kade did, and he received a follow-up letter from her. He smiled from ear to ear when the mail came that day!

The kids were allowed to leave after gathering in the classroom and so we took Kade with us. He said his goodbyes to his friends and his teacher and.....cried just a little when we got in the car. He said, "I'll never have Mrs. Hartmeier again as a teacher. I hope she doesn't forget about me." I said, "How could anyone forget about you sweet boy."

Once we dropped off Bop-O we took him to lunch, just the 3 of us. He chose Kyoto, and I didn't mind that at all! We dined on some delicious teriyaki chicken, fried rice, and veggies. What a delicious way to celebrate our little man!

Kindergarten came and went in the blink of an eye. I'm excited and nervous about the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment