Sunday, July 12, 2009

Six Years!

Well folks...it's been six years since I walked down the aisle with my dad! Mike and I met on April 26, 2002. I was teaching at South Garland HS and also working part-time at Outback in Garland AND The Bone in Deep Ellum! Anyway, I had just started working at The Bone as the rooftop bartender and Mike was one my 1st customer. I had already made up my mind when I started working there that I didn't want to date anyone....just wanted to have fun and people watch. Low and behold, Mike asks for my number that first night. Honestly, I gave it to him not really having any interest...he knows this. He called me that night and left a message knowing I was still at work. We played phone tag until June....really I was just not that interested. But June came around and I had just gotten back from cheer camp with my girls when he called. We made plans to have dinner and watch the Stars play the Redwings (his favorite team). Dinner was great and we had the best conversation and THEN...he told me his last name. I don't think I could even pronounce it! I thought to myself, "I can't marry this guy, my students will torture me with that last name." The next day I was out with my friend Paige and we were talking about the date. I told her that Mike was just "too nice". At that point she had been married for a year and said...don't let him go! Guys don't get any nicer! So I called him up and we had our second date at his apartment. We ordered in and as he was showing me his apartment our faces got super close ( no kissing yet) and I know this sounds silly, but as soon as I looked into his eyes, I knew I was going to be Mrs. Spampinato! By September Mike told me he loved me and on November 8th he proposed at my favorite restaurant...PF Changs. We planned our wedding for July 12,2003.

A few engagement photos-




My favorite of all my bridal portraits even though it doesn't show my dress.


We had two beautiful weddings. The first was in Dallas. We were married at Royal Lane Baptist Church at 10 a.m. and our reception was at Fairview Farms. I wanted a traditional ceremony and a TEXAS reception so that all of Mike's family that came could experience good barbecue and Texas wildflowers. Our second wedding was in Toronto. Mike's parents gave us an "Italian" wedding just like you would see in any mafia movie like Good Fellas! We had an 8 course meal including a roasted pig, and every guest brought us "envelopes" filled with money as our gift. It was GREAT. It was important that we honored both of our religions and we were able to do so with both ceremonies.

About to walk down the aisle...





Mr. and Mrs. Mike Spampinato



Toronto Wedding









The stuffed pig I mentioned..didn't eat a bite of it!


We went to Puerto Vallarta for our Honeymoon and it was amazing. I loved every minute of it and couldn't contain my excitement for being Mrs. Spampinato.



We settled into our first home in Mckinney and six months later we found out Kade was on his way! Everyone had bets that we would have a honeymoon baby b/c I wanted a baby so badly. We proved everyone wrong, by a few months! Here is a picture from our first anniversary....




I have to say that I am very lucky, but I also have to say that I haven't always been the most appreciative of what I have. I am embarrassed by that, but it's the truth. I love Mike very much and I know he loves me more than I deserve sometimes. The past year has been a tough one on our marriage, but we are working hard everyday to make our love stronger and be an example for our child. We also want our family to grow and know that we need to be solid. A blog buddy of mine, Taren Toth, mentioned a book called the Love Dare and it sounded like something Mike and I could greatly benefit from. I found the book last week at Sam's and asked Mike if we could do this together everynight. It's a 40 day challenge and we are on day 6. Since we started this book, it's like night and day in our relationship. I feel closer to him than I have in a very long time and we are TALKING more and on a deeper level. Thank you Taren! I am forever grateful to you.

So...for our 6th anniversary we made plans for Kade to stay the night with my mom and dad. Our friends Toni and Jeff celebrated the night with us. First we had dinner at my favorite Mexican food restaurant, Mi Cocina. I love the Lucychanga!!!! Once dinner was over and we were walking around the shops at Legacy, I told Mike that we were all staying in a hotel tonight..this was my surprise! Toni and Jeff got a room and we had one right next to theirs! We stayed at the ALOFT in Frisco. We checked in and then got into our swimsuits. We swam and acted like fools in the pool until 2 am. The guys then headed to Whataburger for some taguitos and diet coke...great mix, I know! I love you Mike and I know that what we have ahead of us is going to be amazing!

2 comments:

  1. you guys look sooooo different from the wedding pics...wow! so cute!!!!

    i love the story! thanks for sharing. i'm gonna look up the book you mentioned because 10+ years and 5 kids later...we could use a little "shake".

    congratulations!

    my favorite part of the whole story was the whataburger part....mmmm....how i miss me some whataburger!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing your sweet story and your updates! I can't wait to hear more about the book!

    ReplyDelete